Book Title: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum: A Self-help Guide Using CBT
Publisher: Jessica Kingsley Publishers
Author: Lee A. Wilkinson
AWARD-WINNING FINALIST IN THE "PSYCHOLOGY/MENTAL HEALTH" CATEGORY OF THE 2016 BEST BOOK AWARDS
Many adults on the autism spectrum experience isolation,interpersonal difficulties, anxiety, depressed mood, and coping problems. Award-winning author Dr. Lee A. Wilkinson's new book presents strategies derived from cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), adapted specifically for adults on the higher end of the autism spectrum, to help them overcome anxiety and depression, and improve their psychological well-being. It is written for individuals in the early and middle years of adulthood, with and without a formal diagnosis, who share features associated with autism spectrum conditions. It is also appropriate for adults who recognize their autistic traits, even though they may not have experienced major social difficulties and clinical impairment, but who want to improve their emotional well-being. The author takes the best of CBT therapeutic techniques to facilitate greater self-understanding, self-advocacy, and better decision-making in life-span activities such as employment and interpersonal relationships.
Accessible and easy-to-read, this self-help guide provides evidence-based tools that can be used to learn new self-fulfilling ways of thinking,feeling, and doing. It includes questionnaires, forms/worksheets, and exercises to help the reader:
- Evaluate his or her autistic traits and discover their cognitive style.
- Identify and modify the thoughts and beliefs that underlie and maintain the cycles of anxiety, depression, and anger.
- Apply therapeutic techniques such as mindfulness, positive self-talk, guided imagery, and problem solving.
- Accept their past and achieve unconditional self-acceptance.
- Deal effectively with perfectionism and low frustration tolerance.
- Avoid procrastination and learn to maintain positive changes to their progress.
Honored as an "Award-Winning Finalist in the "Psychology/Mental Health" category of the 2016 Best Book Awards," Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum: A Self-Help Guide Using CBT
is an essential self-help book for adults on the higher end of the spectrum looking for ways to understand and cope with their emotional challenges and improve their psychological well-being. Family members, friends, and others touched by autism will also find this self-help book a valuable resource.